Steps to apply for NRCS programs

These instructions are meant to serve as a point of reference as you walk through the process with your Conservation District planner. Please give us a call first to get started-you don't need to do this on your own!

1. Contact your Conservation District & Discuss your resource concerns and identify the appropriate practices and programs at NRCS.

2. Establish client records with Farm Service Agency (FSA).  You must have an FSA to apply for NRCS programs. To establish records with FSA you must complete the following forms and provide FSA with the following information.
  Form AD 2047 Customer Data Worksheet
  Form AD 1026 Highly Erodible Land Worksheet
  Copy of your deed or lease of land

You will need to contact the Farm Service Agency for assistance completing the AD-1026 form-Highly Erodible Land Certification. 

They can be reached at: 60 Quaker Lane Suite 49
Warwick, RI 02886
(401) 828-3120     Option 2

3. Complete the following forms with the help of Conservation District staff.

  Form 1200   Conservation Program Application 

  Appendix to Form 1202
  Form 941     Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
  Direct Deposit Form
  Release of Conservation Information

The Release of Conservation Information form is to give consent to NRCS to share pertinent data from your potential project to partner agencies for consultation. Every project requires an assessment of endangered species/cultural reviews, usually done behind the scenes, and remotely from geographic data. These reviews are at no cost to the landowner and are done within partner agencies (USFWS, NMFS, SHPO). All NRCS programs must go through these reviews, so if consent is not given, in order to participate in NRCS programs, the landowner must pay for these reviews with private consulting firms.

4. Contact your conservation district contact with any questions .

5. Submit application materials to your conservation district planner. They will keep in close touch with you as your application proceeds through the USDA NRCS ranking process. Make sure not to begin any work that you are applying for financial assistance for until you have a signed contract in hand!

**Unless otherwise directed by your planner, mail documents via US Postal Service addressed to the appropriate district above to:

60 Quaker Lane, Suite 40, Warwick, RI 02886-0111**

Apply for the Rhode Island Farm Forest and Open Space Program

​The Conservation Districts have funds to assist farm owners develop a farm conservation plan for a $100 fee.  Conservation District staff can also help forest owners access NRCS EQIP funds to receive financial assistance with developing a forest management plan.

Steps to apply

  • Review the Citizens Guide
  • Contact your Tax Assessor
  • Determine which category Farm, Forest, or Open Space
  • Contact your Conservation District
  • Apply for a Farm Conservation Plan or a Forest Management Plan
  • Submit Application to RIDEM

In order to remain in the program farm and forest owners must have an active Farm Conservation Plan or Forest Management Plan.  


Rhode Island's Conservation Districts
Call Us: +1.4019340840